Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Everybody loves a list

My lovely, ever-helpful husband, "Jordan Park," explained to me recently that in order to be a successful blogger, I need to post lists. "Everyone loves lists, Dolores!"

At first I bristled, because my last serious encounter with lists was a book entitled, 14,000 Things to Be Happy About--a gift that someone gave to me when I was in high school. Yeesh.

But then I relinquished. Lists can be fun! Here's my first attempt:

The Top 5 Bizarre People That I've Seen in Berkeley This Week

5. A very sexily dressed tranny in front of the Berkeley City College
4. "Old Man Politics," a scruffy older gentleman with white stringy hair, who sits in front of Tully's, wearing a straw hat covered in anti-government propaganda stickers and shaking his cane at people
3. An itinerant banjo player who winked at me on my way up the BART escalator (howdy, pardner!)
2. A woman screaming expletives, top-volume at her husband/boyfriend outside of the Berkeley Public Library (I wonder if he forgot to pay the over-due fines?)

And yes, the wild card:

1. A throw-back-from-the-60's guy standing in front of the entrance to the downtown-Berkeley BART station, waving a burning handful of what from afar purported to be incense, but clearly was a dried variety of the genus Bob Marley, and yelling at passers-by to relax

Now HE made me happy (dang book).

No comments: